What Personal Data We Collect And Why
When visitors leave comments on the site we collect the data shown in the comments form, and also the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection.
After approval of your comment, your profile picture is visible to the public in the context of your comment.
If you upload images to the website, you should avoid uploading images with embedded location data (EXIF GPS) included. Visitors to the website can download and extract any location data from images on the website.
If you leave a comment on our site you may opt-in to saving your name, email address and website in cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment. These cookies will last for one year.
If you have an account and you log in to this site, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select "Remember Me", your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed.
If you edit or publish an article, an additional cookie will be saved in your browser. This cookie includes no personal data and simply indicates the post ID of the article you just edited. It expires after 1 day.
Our site uses tracking technologies such as third-party cookies and non-cookie technologies of third-party advertising partners (NextRoll, etc.). This is to help us recognize your device(s) and understand how you use our site(s) so that we can improve our services to reflect your interests and serve you advertisements about our products that are likely to be of more interest to you.
Our partners may collect information about your activity (eg. IP addresses and cookie identifiers) on our site(s) to enable us to:
- measure and analyze traffic and browsing activity on our site(s);
- show advertisements for our products and/or services to you on third-party sites;
- measure and analyze the performance of our advertising campaigns
We may share data, such as hashed email derived from emails, or other online identifiers collected on our site(s) with our advertising partners. This allows our partners to recognize and deliver ads to you across devices and browsers.
To read more about the technologies used by our partner, NextRoll, and their cross-device capabilities, click here.
If you are from California, details of your privacy and data protection rights can be found here and here.
Opting-Out Of Targeted Advertising
For web (desktop, laptop):
- You can use the settings feature in your browser and decline all third party cookies or decline third party cookies from specific sites. If you’re using mobile, you can limit ad tracking or reset the advertiser identifier via the privacy settings on your mobile device.
- Our partners may use non-cookie technologies that may not be impacted by browser settings that block cookies. Your browser may not permit you to block such technologies. For this reason, you can use the following third-party tools to decline the collection and use of information for the purpose of serving you interest-based advertising:
For mobile (mobile phones, tablets, etc.):
- You can limit ad tracking or reset the advertiser identifier via the privacy settings on your mobile device.
- Otherwise, you can use the following third-party tool to decline the collection and use of information for the purpose of serving you interest-based advertising:
One of our advertising partners includes NextRoll, Inc. To opt-out, click the button below. Opt-out of NextRoll, Inc.
Embedded Content From Other Websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
How Long We Retain Your Data
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
For users that register on our website (if any), we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
What Rights You Have Over Your Data
If you have an account on this site, or have left comments, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
Notice To California Residents
If you are a California resident and would like to exercise your right to opt out of the sharing or sale of your personal information, please visit our Do Not Sell My Personal Information page.
For more information about California privacy rights, go directly to the “Your California Privacy Rights” section.
Where We Send Your Data
Visitor comments may be checked through an automated spam detection service.